HAIRSHIRT 

        Helping You Get the Most Out of Your Misery

 
.

 

 

 

 

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Monday, August 29, 2005

 

N'Awlins

I've been to New Orleans twice. The first time, I was ten years old and didn't understand why all the nice people were vomiting in the street. The second time, I was twenty-six and I vomited on a ten-year-old in the street. It's a gorgeous town. The architecture in New Orleans is unlike anyplace else in the country. It's as close to a European city as you can get in the U.S. It's also the best place in America to indulge yourself.

The greatest meal I ever had in my life was in New Orleans. We went for my sister's thirtieth birthday. She was, at the time, working as buyer for a trucking company, which meant she dealt with a lot of vendors who liked to give her free things. One of the things she got was a free dinner at a three-or-four-star restaurant. This place operated differently than any other restaurant I've eaten at--which, I must admit, are mostly Stuckey's. In addition to our waitress, there were two sort of "floating" waitrons whose job was to watch every table like a hawk and swoop in if they needed anything. My wife looked behind her at one point to see a painting or something along those lines and, before, she could turn back around, one of these guys was by her side asking if she needed her water refilled or a new knife or a foot rub.

The service was spectacular, but the food was better. I'd just attended a wine-tasting/lesson as part of a fund-raiser for a theater I was working with, so I actually had a clue when ordering the vino. I chose one of the best Sauvignon Blanc I've ever tasted. I'd never had before, nor have I had since, a wine that went so well with a meal. I ordered the coconut tiger prawns, which came with the shells on. By the time I was finished, I had coconut sauce smeared all over my face and I felt a satisfaction I'd never known.

I have such fond memories of that meal and of that trip. I am very worried this morning for the people and places of New Orleans.

Now, I don't believe in "God", per se, but I do believe in the power of positive thought. So I'm going to spend some time this morning sending my most positive energy to the Crescent City. I'm hoping other people do so, too.

And, while we're talking about sending positive energy, my wife's father is undergoing surgery tomorrow. I've been with my wife for eleven years now and I don't think I could've asked for a nicer guy for a father-in-law. His family is going to be right there with him , and I know he's going to come through it just fine, but it never hurts to have a little extra help. If you would, please send some good thoughts his way tomorrow.

 

 
Links

 

 
           
     
    
.