HAIRSHIRT 

        Helping You Get the Most Out of Your Misery

 
.

 

 

 

 

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Tuesday, October 18, 2005

 

Truly, Truly Special

Now, I don't normally go through a lot of hoopla when I add a link to the side of my blog. 'Cause, let's face it, who really gives a brain-damaged tick's ass what this guy thinks? But, every once in awhile, my Blogroll or Links Section or Pointless Shit Directory or whatever the hell you want to call it is made better by something really special.

Last week, I added a truly wonderful new web-stination over there. It's the site for a little company with a big, big future: Special Productions. "Wait a minute!" I can already hear you yelling at the screen. "I've heard the name Special Productions before! Where in the name of Sam Donaldson's fuck-towel was it?"

Well, I'll tell you. I wrote late in September about the show I've got premiering in both New York and Seattle come December. The Empire State version of the show will produced by the aforementioned (and hereaftermentioned, I should add) Special Productions.

Special Productions is a little group that I formed several years ago here in the city with some friends who, like me, had nothing cool to do on the weekends. Our options, to be frank, were to form either a theater-producing entity or a semi-professional Yahtzee league, as we had just enough cash between us for one of these two modest endeavors. We flipped a coin and bid the timeless dice game a sad adios and we've never looked back since. (Except for the year or so when we didn't produce anything, at which point there may have been some back-looking on the part of some members.)

Why call the company Special Productions, you might ask, if you were still reading this. Well, I'll tell you. Once upon a time, CBS had a little intro to all of their holiday specials. It consisted of the word "SPECIAL" spinning around leaving multi-colored after-images, as if the viewer had dropped some acid before sitting down to an evening's viewings. This was backed by some bongos and other percussive sounds. Finally, some horns come in and "A CBS Special Presentation" flashes on the screen in nice bright letters.

As a kid, this was the most exciting thing in my tiny, tiny world. It meant that they were about to show Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer or A Charlie Brown Christmas or any one of a number of other holiday-themed shows I watched year in and year out until I discovered masturbation. In a broader sense, the appearance of this swirling invitation to tune in meant that there was a holiday approaching, and I lived for holidays as a kid. So, to this day, this little intro elicits a Pavlovian excitement in me that I can't shake. When we were trying to think of a name for our company, that's what popped into my head and refused to leave.

So there you have it. Go to the site, check out the excellent work of the mystery web designer who put it together (hint: I'm married to her) and peruse the many photos contained therein (also by that same mystery person who's my spouse). Any time we're putting on a show here in New York or doing one of our frequent command performances for our many fans in the Bush administration (Condi's a huge, huge fan), we'll put all sorts of info on the site.

From all of us at Special Productions, have a "special" day. (Not "special" in the retarded sense, but "special" in the sense that it's part of our name and so I'm cleverly referring back to that.)

 

 
Links

 

 
           
     
    
.