HAIRSHIRT 

        Helping You Get the Most Out of Your Misery

 
.

 

 

 

 

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Thursday, December 01, 2005

 

Bon Voyage, Wendie

I haven't watched Bosom Buddies for a long, long time. It's on out there somewhere, I'm sure. On some cable channel or available as a DVD boxed set. I have no desire to track it down, though.

I loved the show as a kid. I thought Tom Hanks and Peter Scolari were fucking brilliant. I thought the premise of two friends living in drag was a bottomless well of hilarity. The show made me a fan of Holland Taylor to this day.

But I'm afraid that it would be yet another cherished memory from childhood that proves to kind of suck when viewed from a more mature perspective. Like
Land of the Lost. Man, those Sleestaks scared the shit out of me when I was a kid.

Anyway, Wendie Jo Sperber died today. She was the slightly heavy comic relief from the show. She also did time on TV's version of
Private Benjamin. She did a whole bunch of movies, including Bachelor Party, I Wanna Hold Your Hand and 1941, in which she stole the show with a great sequence on a dance floor. I'll have you know that I knew all that without looking on IMDB. Because I liked Ms. Sperber a lot. (That's also my way of saying that one or two of the titles I list may be slightly inaccurate.)

Anyway, here's to you, Wendie Jo Sperber.


Comments:
That's so sad. I'll never forget how she kept snapping that latex glove, offering to give Tom Hanks the Last Tango in Paris treatment.

"You said no hookers, Stan!"

Damn.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

 

 
Links

 

 
           
     
    
.