HAIRSHIRT 

        Helping You Get the Most Out of Your Misery

 
.

 

 

 

 

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Sunday, December 11, 2005

 

The Toy Was Underrated

Richard Pryor is dead, which really fucking blows.

What also blows is the fact that he spent the last years of his life unable to do what he did best, which is make people laugh until their genitals fall off. Seriously, I can't tell you how many times over the years I had to pick my Johnson up off of the floor after listening to a Pryor album.

As a young kid--talking nine or ten--and we lived in an area that was densely populated enough to have cable, my folks would watch his concert films when they came on HBO. My mom just told me today that they let me watch with them, but I swear I remember them sending me to bed. I definitely remember my parents quoting bits from Pryor's concerts around the house.

Then when I was old enough to save up my allowance and make purchases from Camelot Music at the mall, I was able to pick up his albums for myself.
I listened to a lot of comedy albums when I was a kid. Music, I didn't know from my ass, but I was big into comedy. I memorized long routines from Steve Martin, George Carlin and Eddie Murphy. Pryor, though, I'd just listen to. I didn't try doing his routines in front of the mirror or for friends. Nobody could sound like him except him.

He did a lot of crap just for money over the years, but what comedian hasn't? And I'll forgive him
Another You and Moving because of how much I loved Live on the Sunset Strip. He was a genius.

Why the hell couldn't Robert Wuhl have gotten MS and died early instead?


Comments:
Rest in Peace Richard
 
Richard Pryor...great man. He will be missed.


BTW, Great Show on Friday, Joe!! KKC and internet Christmas Carol scene were the so funny!! It's a must see!
 
Or Margaret Cho?

As Richard passes, so too does 'Mudbone.' Damn....
 
A hearty salute to the funniest motherfucker there ever was.

"deep too"
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

 

 
Links

 

 
           
     
    
.