HAIRSHIRT 

        Helping You Get the Most Out of Your Misery

 
.

 

 

 

 

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Sunday, January 08, 2006

 

The People's Court

The Sunday talk shows this morning had a whole lot to talk about. Between the questionable safety practices at the Sago mine to the void left by the incapacitation of Ariel Sharon to the announcement by Tom Delay that he wouldn't seek re-election they could have done hours and hours of head-talking. And yet, while flipping between Face the Nation, Meet the Press and This Week with George Snuffalupagus, what I heard the most about was the Alito hearings coming up this week, which brought to my mind an important thought: "Oh, fuck, right. That guy."

I'd completely forgotten about him. Maybe because his inevitable confirmation is such an utterly loathsome thought. Anyway, there were a whole lot of opinions laid out by various senators and journalists and regular citizens. (I'm joking. Nobody gives a shit what regular citizens think.) Much of the talk had to do with the Reagan-era job application in which Alito said that he felt the Constitution doesn't protect a woman's right to freedom of choice. So you had a lot of right-wingers waving this off by saying, "Look, he was applying for a job with a conservative administration. Of course he was going to say that. He was saying what they wanted to hear to get the job."

How the living fuck is that supposed to comfort us? If he blew smoke up a prospective employer's ass twenty years ago, would that not lead you to believe that he's going to do that again now? I mean, yeah, I've done it in job interviews before. Everyone knows there's a certain amount of yes-sirring and bullshitting that you do when they ask you the "What would you say is your greatest strength?" question and such. If that's all I have to do to get a job that's going to pay my rent and put food on my table, I'll be more than happy to nod and agree that, yes, loyalty to one's employer is paramount and, yes, I'm looking for a job I can keep for a long, long while, even though I know that I'm taking off in three months to hitchhike to Burning Man.

(For the record, I've never been to Burning Man, nor do I intend to go, as I have a very low tolerance for patchouli and guys named Moonbeam.)

The point here is how in the name of Aunt Esther's hairy mole are we supposed to believe anything this asshole says? He's going to avoid saying as much as possible and hedge any opinion that might give us an actual clue as to what he would like to do once on the bench. And it's not like the Democrats have demonstrated the presence of any testicles on their person. There might be one or two tough questions lobbed, but I'm sure he'll be able to dodge them. And then how many Democrats are going to vote against him? How many centrist Republicans will stand apart from the majority in an election year?

Basically, this is a foregone conclusion. Personally, I'm digging my buckle shoes and my breeches out of the closet, 'cause I believe we're headed back to Salem and we're gonna see some witches swinging from trees.

I'm sorry. I should stop that. Pessimism is a nasty bitch, isn't it? All right. I'm gonna go now and think happy thoughts. Fluffy clouds. Fluffy clouds. Fluffy clouds. Fucking Bush. Fluffy clouds. Fluffy clouds.

Comments:
magical chocolate unicorns. gum drops. beautiful sunsets.
 
I was watching the American Experience on Reagan the other night and was forced to sleep with the light on. The similarities bewteen the language of the party line then and now and the general feeling that the country is mass hallucinating a bad episode of Bonanza really creeped me out.

Alito can wait. He's easy. I'm still trying to figure out who is this administration's Gorbachev.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

 

 
Links

 

 
           
     
    
.