HAIRSHIRT 

        Helping You Get the Most Out of Your Misery

 
.

 

 

 

 

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Friday, June 30, 2006

 

Feeling Somewhat Super


Maybe I'm still basking in the Truth, Justice and the American Way-ism of Superman Returns. (Have I mentioned that I liked it?) Maybe it has more to do with the Senate's disturbingly close, but still mildly reassuring defeat of the moronic anti-flag-burning amendment. Maybe it's yesterday's awesome Supreme Court fuck-you to the Bush administration's "I Am Like Unto a God" stance.

But whatever the reason, I'm heading into this long July 4th weekend feeling something I haven't felt in years. I'm feeling politically optimistic. Could this be the start of, in the immortal words of Herman's Hermits, "something good"? Is this the point at which we finally begin to emerge from our six-year political nightmare and begin to reign in the out-of-control executive branch and begin reclaiming our freedoms? Is it finally starting to sink in that all of this blind nationalism and trust in aggressive policy over smart policy have gotten us nowhere?

I hope. I really do. And I'm just getting to the point where I can see it happening. I grant you, it's still entirely possible that the Democrats will once again snatch defeat from the jaws of victory with their utter lack of vision. But I'm beginning to feel like that might not happen.

Of course, it could just be that I'm overly euphoric about summer vacation finally being here, in which case, I reserve the right to disavow ever having sounded even vaguely hopeful.

Have a great weekend.

 

 
Links

 

 
           
     
    
.