HAIRSHIRT 

        Helping You Get the Most Out of Your Misery

 
.

 

 

 

 

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Tuesday, August 08, 2006

 

Ann of Red, White and Blue Gables


I was reading some stuff on the Huffington Post last night (I just started reading it a few days ago and I'm still not sure what I think of it) and I came across an article from Media Matters which debunks a number of things from Ann Coulter's new book, Godless: The Church of Liberalism.

They found a whole assload of examples of Coulter citing articles completely out of context or crediting her own whacked-out ideas to other sources to make it seem less like she was pulling stuff out of her ass. None of this surprised me; I mean, if you've ever heard this woman speak, you realize that she's got a completely Bush administration view of life: make up your tiny little mind and then twist the facts as much as you need to back your ideas up.

But as I was reading comment after comment from people calling her a crusty douchebag or saying that she has congress with the devil or what-have-you, I thought about the fact that her books are read almost entirely--I would guess--by people who think exactly like she does. And Al Franken books--I would guess--are read almost entirely by people like me.

Because we all like to have someone tell us that how we feel is dead on. We all like to have someone throw a few logs on our bonfire of outrage. But that's one reason we can't get anything done in this country. We're far too busy throwing used diapers at the people on the other side.

So I'm thinking I'm going to try reading Coulter's latest. I'm not going to buy the fucking thing, 'cause God knows I don't want to give that woman any money. I'm going to check it out from the library. I'm fairly certain I know the kind of shit I'll find in there and I can say with confidence that I'll probably disagree with every single thing I find in there. I'm not going to promise to finish the book, 'cause I very well may get three pages into it and find that my intestines leap up through my torso and attack my brain rather than allow me to read any more. But I'm going to try.

Comments:
Wow, you're a brave, brave man. Although I totally agree with your reasoning for reading it, you're still a brave, brave man. Good luck to you. If we don't hear from you in, say, a week or so, that will be yet one more thing to blame on She Who Shall Not Be Named.
 
An excellent suggestion. That'd save her the satisfaction of even enjoying loaner popularity. Plus, when I'm done, I could wipe a boog on it, thus rendering it unsaleable.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

 

 
Links

 

 
           
     
    
.