HAIRSHIRT 

        Helping You Get the Most Out of Your Misery

 
.

 

 

 

 

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Friday, August 24, 2007

 

A Bit Less Green

I did it today. I finally broke down and set aside my issues with the two-party system. I went online and printed out the form I would need to fill out and send in in order to re-register as a Democrat.

I've spent the last five years as a registered Green. I did this because limiting ourselves to two parties generally means choosing between the hand-picked candidates of various corporations. This is going to be made even worse when the primary date shuffling comes to an end and the first states kick off the voting in fucking late October, meaning voters will have goddamn no time to get to know candidates and it'll come down (even more so) to whoever gets the most corporate money at the outset. Feh.

Anyway, the reason I'm doing this is basically so that I can vote for Barack Obama. I've been impressed with Obama since I first heard him speak and this may be my only chance to vote for him.

Now, I grant you that we're still really early in the process and he could very well prove himself an idiot between now and whenever New York State eventually ends up casting its ballots. But from what I've seen so far (No Nukes! End the War!) I really don't see that happening.

I'll still vote for Green Party candidates in the general election. The more votes they get, the better. But it's not like I was making any huge impact in Green primaries anyway. In fact, I don't think I ever once had the option of choosing between two of 'em.

This way, I know I'm going to be able to do my part to keep Mike Gravel from snagging the nomination. I just don't think America is ready for a Cranky Old Man to be president.

 

 
Links

 

 
           
     
    
.