HAIRSHIRT 

        Helping You Get the Most Out of Your Misery

 
.

 

 

 

 

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Saturday, January 12, 2008

 

My Mental Jukebox Sucks Ass


Going a little nuts here. If you listened to the little podcast extra that my pal Keith and I put out, you may have noticed our use of a variation on the theme from Masterpiece Theater. It's a pleasant little melody that I've had a fondness for ever since my buddy The Beige One used it in a sketch show we did way back in the day in Seattle.

Since I listened to the podcast, I've repeatedly found myself whistling, humming and scatting the song. I hate that. It's my usual earworm problem, but now I'm performing.

I do this a lot actually. There are a number of songs that I've become familiar with over the course of my life that just somehow bubble to the surface and tumble out of my mouth unbidden. All the time. When I'm walking down the street. When I'm doing dishes. When I'm fashioning a new tinfoil hat to keep the aliens from reading my thoughts. It's a hassle.

And the songs that pop into my head aren't even necessarily songs that I've listened to for years. I never just start spontaneously singing, like, a Beck tune. Nope. It's scarier stuff. The other night, just to give an example, I was sitting at the computer when I all of a sudden noticed that I was singing fucking "Take a Chance on Me." I fucking hate ABBA.

Here, then, in an attempt to exorcise them from my mind, is my top ten list of songs that I find myself unwittingly singing. God help me.
  • The Theme from The Godfather
  • Oklahoma
  • Tomorrow
  • Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow!
  • Moon River
  • If Ever I Would Leave You
  • 50 Ways to Leave Your Lover
  • The James Bond Theme
  • Pretty Little Picture
  • Just One of Those Things
Now, I'm not saying these are bad songs. In fact, I don't really mind most of them. But I don't want them to haunt my synapses.

Also, I'm disturbed by the fact that nearly half of them are show tunes. Not disturbed in a sexuality-questioning way, just disturbed because it means that I have to officially accept that I'm someone who knows show tunes. I blame my parents for that. Thanks, guys.

But of all these, "50 Ways to Leave Your Lover" is the only one that I've listened to with any frequency over the last twenty years. So what is it about the other songs on the list that's kept them floating inside my cranium? It's a puzzlement!

Comments:
God, I do the same thing. The other day, for instance, as I was getting groceries, I heard my head singing, "Daisy, Daisy, Give Me Your Answer True." WTF!

Thanks for validating my own ear worm.
 
Ok now, I love ABBA, but I agree with you on 50 Ways to Leave Your Lover. I like it when I get that Mamma Pajama song int here. When I thought of a song just now, I got "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun," but tend to be more zen masteresque and don't have too much shit mulling around in there uncontrollably. That may not be good and I cannot say the same thing about feelings. They're all amuck in my gut.
 
I got nothing. You?
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

 

 
Links

 

 
           
     
    
.