HAIRSHIRT 

        Helping You Get the Most Out of Your Misery

 
.

 

 

 

 

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Friday, July 04, 2008

 

Summer Reading Project Update


Last month, I started getting a list together of what I'm gonna read this summer. Many people chimed in with suggestions. In fact, too many people chimed in with too many good suggestions for me to fit into one summer. So I picked a few and added them to my own list and here's what I ended up with:

I'm going to tackle a dense one first. I enjoyed the John Adams miniseries on HBO enough to make me really want to read David McCullough's book. I like these kinds of biographies, but they can sometimes be a bit of a slog for someone who's used to lighter fare.

Born Standing Up, the early-career-covering memoir by Steve Martin, has been on my list since I read an excerpt last fall.

I've never read any E.L. Doctorow, so I'm going to rectify that by trying Ragtime.

So many people suggested I try Cormac McCarthy's The Road that I couldn't ignore it. So that's in the mix.

I feel kind of stupid to have gone so long without reading A Confederacy of Dunces, and I've put it on my list.

Last summer, I plowed through a good half-dozen stories by Raymond Chandler and loved them. This summer, I'm switching over to Dashiell Hammett and reading a handful of his, including The Maltese Falcon and The Thin Man.

Also, just because I've heard it's a good read for comic geeks, I'm going to give Austin Grossman's Soon I Will Be Invincible a try.

Before I tackle all those new books, though, I'm cleansing my palate with another go at Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, which I read just about a year ago. I'm about 300 pages into that right now, so I should be finished with it by sun-up.

I'll try to check in occasionally with my thoughts (worthless though they may be) on these and any other books I get to during the season. Here's hoping we all find lots of time to lie in the grass or sand and read our asses off.

Comments:
I just finished Born Standing Up and it was fantastic. Really, really good.

Ragtime is another great pick. Obviously, The Road is one of the better books ever written.

I hope you enjoy....

.... But I didn't see White Noise on that list.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

 

 
Links

 

 
           
     
    
.