HAIRSHIRT 

        Helping You Get the Most Out of Your Misery

 
.

 

 

 

 

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Monday, January 16, 2006

 

Oops, I Did It Again

Just like last year, I sat down this evening and watched a huge chunk of the Golden Globe awards, only realizing a couple of hours in that I totally don't give a shit. I'm pretty sure I vowed last year that I wouldn't do this again, but apparently I'm retarded.

Meanwhile, actual important shit happened in the world today. F'rinstance, Al Gore gave a fantastic speech about the horror show that is the Bush administration. Sadly, about five thousand times more people are going to be aware of the short speech that George Clooney gave, accepting his Golden Globe for Best Supporting actor. True, he was funnier than Gore--he thanked Jack Abramoff and joked about parents that would give the name Jack to anyone who has "off" in his last name--but Gore's speech was a little more detailed.

Something Gore brought up in this speech is that the American people need to get interested in what their government is doing and that they have to do more to inform themselves about national and international events than watching thirty-second commercials during campaign season. And that's where I lose hope.

I've often quoted George Carlin's great line about human intelligence: "Think of how dumb the average person is. And then realize that half of 'em are even stupider than that." I just don't have the faith that we citizens of this country pay enough attention to what's going on around us. Because there are pretty dresses on the red carpet at the Beverly Hilton. Who has time to read a paper?

Anyway...it's late. I'm going to go watch Hollywood congratulate itself on how open-minded it is when it declares a gay cowboy movie the best film of the year. Rest assured, I'll be hating myself while I watch.

 

 
Links

 

 
           
     
    
.